Monday, November 23, 2015

White Rock YMCA

So I’m getting to the point in my journey where all that’s left are YMCA’s, rec centers, and workout studios.  Here I will reviewing a YMCA.  This is the White Rock Y in Lakewood.  This is definitely a place for the community, and not really the brosefs and gym bunnies.  They have a ton of programs (none of which, unfortunately, I got to use) so if you want to do group exercise that’s definitely an option.  This building is newly built, and it’s very sleek, nice, and clean. Also they are very reasonably priced, and from what I understand if money is tight they can give scholarships to reduce the cost of membership.


Layout

They have an outdoor pool, which is very nice. I think it’s used most often for kids programs, but I think there is adult swim as well.  It’s an open an light place: high ceilings and floor to ceiling windows.  There is a nice balance of weight machines, cardio machines, and free weights.  They have only one squat rack, but to be honest it’s nice that they have at least one.  I attended here on some more peak hours (like 5:30pm) and I definitely had to wait a bit for the squat rack to open up, or  for a bench to open up. But no wait was very long, I’ve had much worse at LA Fitness Signature Club.

The dumbbells actually go up to 100#, and they have plenty of weight plates for people to use. It does bug me though that they have different brands of weight plates. So if you like your weights to be symmetrical (and who doesn’t) you will sometimes have to move some plates around to access the one you want.


Locker Rooms

Very nice and clean. Has really everything you could want. Extremely adequate.

If you’re looking for a cheaper place that will offer plenty of group exercises, an outdoor pool, and facilities that will probably meet your needs, this particular YMCA is a really good place to check out.


Surfability
Get a whole week free. Really low pressure sale. Don’t think they work on commission here.

No comments:

Post a Comment