Friday, August 15, 2014

Tom Landry Fitness Center

I got another week-long trial membership, this time at Tom Landry Fitness. It's a little old school, little classic. Here you have doctors getting their workout in between shifts. The decor is a little dated, but they are about to undergo a big renovation. I've been told when this happens the membership fee will go from $60/mo to $120/mo. So if you're interested, you better act fast.

This place is huge. It's three floors of pools, squash courts, yoga/Pilates rooms, indoor track, outdoor
This place is very intimate.
*Echos* intimate.
track, weightlifting machines and racks, and many other things I can't remember. I was super excited to see that they not only have bumper plates they have an Olympic lifting platform!!!
The outside track is very scenic, but it can get soooo hot outside that running can lose it's appeal. However, they have a nice indoor track, so you always have an option.
Since the weights are on the second floor, I decided to test the staff to see if I could drop the bumper plates from overhead. I tried it with 135, and felt a little weak just dropping such a light weight so I "guided" it down. Then I really dropped the barbell with some heavier weight and although I think some people started laughing at talking about me the staff never told me to stop, so I was pleasantly please that this place won't kick you out like a planet fitness.

A view from the outdoor track.
I tried out a yoga class and a Pilates class, and was pleasantly reminded of how out of shape and inflexible I am. The instructors seemed very knowledgable and did a great job of pushing without being too difficult. ...I should mention that the classes consisted mostly of older women, so perhaps the instructors scaled accordingly.


I also get the impression that the trainers here have quite the accreditation since it's associated with a hospital. I used to workout at a similar-type of gym in the Chicago area and the trainer I worked with there was pretty damned amazing at coming up with a physical therapy routine for me to recover from some significant injuries. The sales rep didn't actually say any of this, so perhaps the standards are lower here, it's just the impression that I get.

This is a very large gym, and since it's associated with a hospital it makes it seem more.... professional, and slightly more therapy-oriented than meathead oriented. They have a gigantic hot tub, and I think the reason for that is its therapeutic value.

I was very impressed with all they had to offer. This place is a great value with all the resources and classes available. It was very next experience to try this gym out. Just a walkthrough and explanation. They did a follow up call but no pressure whatsoever. This is now my frontrunner of where I will go when I'm done with all of this.

Days in: 17
Amount paid: $0

No comments:

Post a Comment